Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Regarding the Soul

Regarding the Soul, and what may have happened to mine…
(Partially in response to a comment from the last entry.)

Personally, I believe that the soul has a broader existence that our conscious mind is aware of. I feel that is had knowledge of the nature of reality that we do not know on an active level. Because of this, it would not surprise me if within my soul, the answer to my problem is known.
I like the idea proposed in the comments from the last entry that it is my soul that jumped back. When I think about it, that makes sense. If the soul lives in a broader world, why should that world be limited by time? Why couldn’t the soul choose to communicate with my mortal self in a way that lets me experience my memories and feelings from a wider portion of my existence?
If this is truly the case – that I didn’t jump back in time so much as open a window to allow myself to experience my future life, it opens up new lines of questioning. Is the life that I ‘remember’ true? Or is it just a vision of one potential path?

If it is just potential… how should I respond to my emotions of loss for my wife and family? Not to mention my home, my friends, my work. Did I truly lose them? Or is this vision just a learning experience to help me make better choices in my future?

I’m not very comfortable with this line of questioning, to be honest. I feel like I have truly lived that life. My memories of 2005 are often fuzzy, while my memories of the future are very clear. And I don’t want to conclude that my future life was nothing but a potential path. I am quite attached to that life, even if the Buddhists out there would disapprove of that emotion.

Apparently, I have more questions than answers today.

2 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Blogger Sophia said...

I thought of another possibility. Perhaps you are just having a view of the future. The future could have hit you head-on, and when the time comes, you are destined to marry this woman of your future and have the family that you remember having. It's not that you've already been married and have had the kids... it's that sometime in the future you *will* marry that woman and have the kids. I think you've just had a very strong glimpse into your future. In a way, you're your own fortune teller.

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Time Traveller said...

I think that idea is a good place to start, but I don't think it is truly what happenned for two reasons:

1) Foreknowledge of a potential future doesn't really work with predestination -- I know enough to either choose to make the same choices or not. And with that knowledge, I cannot possibly be the same person I would have been otherwise. So I could not make the same mistakes... instead I will surely make new ones.

2) I only remember the last week or so clearly. My memories from before this event are blurred with time. I barely remember how to get around my home town. I don't know where I left anything. I don't know what clothes I own, my parents look very young to me, etc.
On the other hand, I remember 2027 with absolute clarity.
If this were a vision of the future, my memories should be the other way -- the vision should have gaps, but my recent memory should be clear.

So I agree that your explanation seems more rational -- but it doesn't quite match up with my experience.

I'll keep working on it, though. And thanks for keeping with me on this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home